This building, dating back to the middle of the 18th century, is a Baroque mansion that has undergone significant Isabelline renovations. When first built, it was the British consulate and embassy up until the end of the 19th century. During the Peninsular War (1808-1814), its location was key to defending the city and receiving supplies by sea.
Its most illustrious tenant was the ambassador Sir Richard Wellesley, the older brother of Arthur Wellesley, more commonly known as the Duke of Wellington, who was one of the leading military and political figures of the British Empire in the 19th century. Curiously, when the Duke visited Cádiz, he would stay in this home and many of the allied army's strategies to expel Napoleon's troops from the Iberian Peninsula were planned here. Later, the Cádiz family of the sailor Benito Cuesta would inhabit it until the end of the 1990s.
Like the majority of mansions at the time, it is divided into four floors according to their use: stores on the ground floor, offices for commercial activity above these, the main living area on the first floor, and the servants' quarters on the top floor.
Casa Palacio Sagasta is structured around a large central courtyard covered with a beautiful glass and iron arcade roof. Behind this, the imperial staircase built in 1860 begins its ascent and at the top there is a watchtower (one of the largest in Cádiz) with a guard post.
Its bedrooms are brimming with history while every nook makes guests think of the era when Europe traded with the Indies.